Kostanay region is one of the main granaries of the republic and makes a significant contribution to the food security of the country. There are 6,692 agricultural entities in the region.
The gross output of agricultural products in 2018 amounted to 378,2 billions tenge, including:
- livestock – 117,676.0 million tenge;
- plant growing - 258,271.9 million tenge.
The area of farmland occupied is 10.5 million hectares, of which about 6 million hectares of arable land, with an average index of quality and yield of soil of 30-50 points.
The region is the largest grain producer in Kazakhstan. It accounts for more than a quarter of the grain produced in the country.
In the structure of agriculture, crop production accounts for 68.3% of the total gross output. Growth of crop acreage is marked.
There has been an increase in the area under oilseeds - by 7.8 times in the last 10 years.
In 2018, 5.0 million tons of grain and 355 thousand tons of oil seeds were produced, the volume of agricultural production amounted to more than 1 billion US dollars.
The main export products are: grain, flour, oilseeds:
- wheat flour - 907.5 thousand tons (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan);
- grain - 1,048.6 thousand tons (RF, China, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Iran).
- flax seeds - 89.4 thousand tons (Russia, Belarus, Afghanistan, Belgium, Poland, Germany);
- rapeseed - 9.9 thousand tons (Mongolia, Tajikistan);
- legumes vegetables (lentils) - 59.5 thousand tons (Afghanistan, Turkey, Tajikistan).
At the same time, the region has the potential to produce vegetable oil and its fractions, meat and dairy products.
The most priority areas in the agro-industrial complex for the region are: processing of grain crops including deep processing, processing of oilseeds, the production of animal feed, etc.
There are 465 thousand heads of cattle in the region, including cows - 209.8 thousand heads; pigs - 146.7 thousand heads; horses - 116.8 thousand heads; sheep and goats - 472.8 thousand heads; birds - 4,369.1 thousand.
Farms of all forms of ownership produced 19.7 thousand tons of meat in live weight, milk - 45.4 thousand tons, eggs - 86.4 million pieces.
The region has unique agricultural resources, and its geographical location allows developing comprehensive, mutually beneficial cooperation.