Agro-industrial complex is one of the basic sectors of the regional economy.
The area of farmland occupied is 10.5 million hectares, of which about 6 million hectares of arable land, with an index of quality and yield of soil of 45-50 points.
The region is the largest grain producer in Kazakhstan. It accounts for more than a quarter of the grain produced in the country.
In the structure of agriculture, crop production accounts for 70.7% of the total gross output. 76% of the sown area falls on cereals and legumes.
There has been an increase in the area under oilseeds - by 6.6 times in the last 10 years.
In 2017, 5.2 million tons of grain and 270 thousand tons of oil seeds were produced. The total volume of agricultural production was more than 1 billion US dollars.
The main export products are:
- wheat flour - 879.5 thousand tons (Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan);
- grain - 1,335.1 thousand tons (RF, China, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Iran).
- flax seeds - 96.2 thousand tons (Russia, Belarus, Afghanistan, Belgium, Poland, Germany);
- rapeseed - 19.2 thousand tons (Mongolia, Tajikistan);
- leguminous vegetables (lentils) - 23.3 thousand tons (Afghanistan, Turkey, Tajikistan).
At the same time, the region has the potential to produce vegetable oil and its fractions, meat and dairy products.
The most priority areas in the agro-industrial complex for the region are:
grain crops processing including deep processing;
production of other products in the field of agricultural processing.